DAWSON CREEK – Six organizations in Dawson Creek and surrounding area have received $87,810 so far this year in B.C. Government gaming grants in the human and social services announced Peace River-South MLA Mike Bernier.
- Nawican Friendship Centre $42,000
- South Peace Child Development Society $20,000
- Shrine Club #24 – Mile Zero $12,700
- Tumbler Ridge Elementary and Secondary School PAC $6,860
- McLeod Recreation & Social Services Society $5,000
- Dawson Creek Literacy Society $1,250
Funding provided to organizations in this latest round of gaming grants supports programs that significantly contribute to the quality of life in the community, including assisting the disadvantaged or distressed, promoting health or enhancing opportunities for youth.
Why this matters:
- Community gaming grants in the human and social services sector benefit food banks, hospice societies, community services, service clubs, counselling programs and organizations that assist people coping with challenging life situations, including addictions, serious injuries or disabilities.
- Every year the Province approves approximately $135 million in community gaming grants for not-for-profit organizations, with the human and social services sector receiving the largest share of this annual funding.
- Over 5,000 local not-for-profit organizations representing virtually every community in British Columbia benefit from this funding every year. These organizations provide invaluable services in their communities.
- Eligible organizations applying for gaming grant funding are distributed across six sectors including: arts and culture; sport; environment; public safety; human and social services; parent and district parent advisory councils.
Peace River-South MLA Mike Bernier
“Dawson Creek is blessed to have so many individuals who are using their time and talents to make the community a better place. The funding provided by this grant will help support their causes and help them to continue to serve the community.”
For more information:
Full application information for community gaming grants is available online at: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gaming-grants