DAWSON CREEK – Students, teachers and staff at four South Peace schools will benefit from new sawdust collection systems and upgraded heating, ventilating and air conditioning controls, thanks to $818,500 in provincial funding to provide healthy, safe and modern learning environments.
The schools receiving funding are:
- Dawson Creek Secondary SPSS Campus – $282,500
- Tumbler Ridge Secondary – $236,000
- Chetwynd Secondary – $206,000
- McLeod Elementary – $94,000
The projects at Dawson Creek, Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd Secondary Schools include creating larger ducting, additional filters, explosion relief panels and blowback prevention dampers.
McLeod Elementary School will use its funding to upgrade the heating, ventilating and air conditioning controls.
These projects will improve air quality and will ensure the schools are safe and efficient to support student learning.
Work is expected to begin this year and finish by spring 2016.
“Government is committed to upgrading and replacing equipment in our schools to ensure our students have safe and modern places to learn and succeed and I am pleased to see these funds coming to schools in the South Peace,” Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier said.
These projects were approved under the province’s routine capital program. Projects were chosen based on need, priority, and supporting student learning.
- Since 2002, the ministry has invested $4.2 billion in new and improved schools, including $2.2 billion in seismic upgrades. This has resulted in 112 new schools, 186 schools with increased classroom space and 146 seismically upgraded schools.
- Boards of education submit capital plans to the ministry that include details on school building priorities in their school districts.
- The provincial government establishes an overall capital budget for schools based the ministry’s capital allocation.
To learn more about Capital Planning within the Ministry of Education, please visit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/administration/resource-management/capital-planning